It was before few days, when I got an email from Hyperwebenable.com that they have been watching my blog for some time and would like to offer me a free domain name (.com/.org/.net/.info anything) that I would like and host it on their servers. They would show two banner ads on all pages that I show in exchange of that..
I went ahead with the offer and just got http://jigar-mehta.com
I am still in the process of setting it up and their administrator is working with me to allow me setup everything I want (Right now, I am enabling google talk/jabber chatting on that domain with email and calendar through google apps). Once I am fully done with new domain, thinking to transfer to the new domain! (though, for some time, I will continue cross posting..)
If you want to get your own domain name for your blog, go ahead and tell them about your blog..
Shifting the blog got me in touch with WordPress once again (my domain blog is wordpress based).. I feel like, wordpress is much more better than blogger! But anyways, blogger has got some pros too!
PS: Though they have not yet enabled advertisements on my blog but I guess they will do that in future!
This is the issue faced by many people using more than one computer/devices.
Well, at the same time there are multiple services out there in the cloud that tries to solve this issue..
I have used following services which can solve this issue..
- Windows Live Foldershare
- Microsoft Live Mesh
Dropbox and Live Mesh are still in private beta where you need an invite to join the service. Windows Live Foldershare is in beta but anybody having Live ID can join.
I am running out of Live Mesh invites right now, but I have few DropBox invites available.. If you want, leave a comment with your email id, will send one!
Whether you are a Mac user or PC user, desktop wallpapers are very important! I had been using Webshots desktop application to automatically change the wallpaper (on demand or automatically).. But problem with Webshots is, it changes wallpapers from my local library! And sometimes, I have to take care about proper resolution pictures!
To the rescue, here is a great tiny tool called Desktoptopia (thanks to Chris Pirillo)! Download this tool and it will automatically download new wallpapers from Internet (most importantly, it will download it according to your screen resolution!) and keep your desktop always fresh!!
The problem is:
- How to keep my Notes accessible everywhere! Such that,
- If I am at my desktop machine, I can access them with just one click! (without opening any website and logging in!)
- If I am roaming with my own laptop, I should be able to access / add / work with my notes over there, with just one click!
- If I am outside and dont have access to any of my machines, I should still be able to access my notes and work with them!
I have been facing this problem from a long time! I tried many solutions! but none of them could make me speak "Perfect! Thats what I want".. So, search continued.. And just before couple of months, I read a blog post saying "Evernote is designing WebService based client as a next version!"
I had used Evernote previous version v2.0 which was not-so-effective for me! But this new version, Evernote v3.0 seemed interesting! I wanted to hear more about it so, followed Evernote on Twitter, Subscribed to their RSS and registered for Private Beta access for their new system! I did study with all that was available at the moment and found Evernote 3.0 can become Perfect solution for what I was looking for!
And one good day, I got access to Private Beta.. (Its still in private beta, if you need access, let me know)
- Evernote 3.0 has Three main components..
- Desktop Client
- They have Clients compatible for both Windows as well as Mac.
- Web Client (Access it here)
- Mobile Client
- They have Client compatible with Windows Mobile as well as iPhone. (Though, iPhone Client is still in Development.. having iPhone SDK still in beta.. I think they will release it once SDK is fully released).
- How it helps for the problem in discussion..
- Desktop client can be downloaded and installed on windows and mac. After installation, You give your unique account credentials where your notes/images/snapshots will be stored.
- This data is stored both locally as well as on the cloud.
- Evernote provides 200 MB of space to store this data in Free Account, but I have heard they have Premium model as well.
- It will automatically synchronize the data on all all your devices (be it PC, Mac, Windows Mobile, iPhone, Web).
- By default your notes are Private (only you can see), but if you want you can also make them Public so Everybody can see them!
- You can also add a note by sending an email to your ‘special evernote email account!’ As simple as that!
- Most important feature of Evernote is, It can search for Text within Images (which has proved to be a life saver for me!)
- Say for example, you take snapshot (PrintScreen saved Snapshot) of your computer screen and add it to Evernote, it will be able to search for text from that snapshot!
- If you have taken a snapshot from your mobile phone for a product which had description written, you can search text in that photo!
- In case, if you dont have access to your computers and want to access your notes in emergency, you can enter secure area of Evernote Website, provide your credentials and Voila! You get access to all your notes, search them, edit them and remember, all your devices are automatically in sync..!
- Usability in desktop software!
- They have got one of the best designed Desktop Client (I have tried on Windows)
- You can tag, annotate, write notes with Ink, Group by various attributes and search your notes from desktop software! UI is designed with great ease.
- They have a tiny application called Universal Launcher which is small but powerful app.
- If you are in any application (be it Outlook, Notepad, Word or Browser.. anywhere).. You select any text and press "Win + A".. That will automatically add selected text to your Notebook in evernote! Just one keystroke! (I love this feature!)
- If you dont have text to be added, you want to take a snapshot of your screen and add it to your Notebook, you can press "Win + PrintScreen" which will allow you to select area of screen to be clipped and once you are done, that will silently be added to your notebook!
- They also have an AddIn for Outlook. Which will help you add your email message to Notebook with just one click!
I can just say one word after using Evernote.. "Perfect!!" My search stops here! I have been using it from few months and have got dependent on it!! It has saved me a lot of painful hours looking for information.. My account summary on Evernote website says (I have appx. 675 notes stored in my evernote account with lots of them Snapshots/Images!),
I think this is one of the S+S system which I dont have any suggestions for! Its truly Perfect! Infact, the icon they have chosen for Evernote is also cool!
I was just thinking about starting a new category on this blog, named "How do I.." (like, I have another category, "How would it be.." where I write about my Design Ideas to improve a produce or service)
As the name "How do I.." suggest, my main goal is to share basic usage information about different software/system! (be it a website or software or device !!) I will start with a unique problem to be solved and will probably note down one or more solutions to it. Probably you will also find some of them as cool as I do!
I will write some post in this category shortly!